E-commerce has revolutionized the way we shop. With just a few simple clicks, we can have the product conveniently delivered right to our doorsteps. However, there is an absence of physical touch and feel of the product in online shopping, which makes it confusing for buyers. This is where the role of product photography comes in.
The images you present to potential customers are your virtual storefront, and their quality directly impacts customer perception and buying decisions. The same principle applies to Amazon, the most dominant online store in e-commerce. In this blog, we’ll explore the art of maximizing sales on Amazon through professional Amazon product photography and how it can give your business a competitive edge.
The importance of product photography for Amazon sellers
Amazon has overshadowed successful sales platforms like eBay. Amazon’s user-friendly experience for buyers and prioritizing top-performing sellers are probably the reasons. Amazon seems to work on the approach of “support the best and ignore the rest”, for this reason, having superior-quality products is not enough; you need to make them reach your audience, capture higher-quality product photography, and market them effectively.
The importance of product photography for Amazon sellers cannot be overstated. With customers bombarded with countless images on this online seller, businesses need to understand the power of visual communication through compelling product photographs.
Product photographs help customers on Amazon’s site make informed purchasing decisions. In order to capture the attention of potential customers, one needs to have product photographs that are visually striking, engaging, captivating, and leave a lasting impression on the viewers. However, remember that Amazon has stringent requirements to join as a seller, and asks for specific requirements to be followed for capturing product photographs.
Understanding Amazon product image requirements
Following the required Amazon product image guidelines is the first step in creating Amazon product photography. These requirements dictate the quality, size, format, and content of the images used to showcase products on Amazon’s marketplace. Ensure that you are updated with the latest guidelines to follow, as they get updated from time to time.
Amazon’s product image requirements typically include the following aspects:
- Image Size and Resolution: Amazon recommends images be at least 1000 pixels in width or height for a high-quality display and 500 pixels on their shortest side. Higher-resolution images (2000 pixels or more) are preferred for zoom functionality and a better customer experience.
- Image Formats: Amazon supports several image formats, such as .tiff,.gif,.jpg, or .png. JPEG is the most commonly used format, as it offers good quality and smaller file sizes.
- Background: Images should have a pure white background, as it provides a clean and professional appearance. Avoid using borders, watermarks, or other distracting elements.
- Product Representation: Images should accurately represent the product being sold. Misleading or inaccurate images can lead to customer dissatisfaction and negative reviews.
- Number of main product images: The main product image should showcase the product in a clear and uncluttered manner. Amazon allows multiple images to be uploaded for each product. Currently, one can upload seven images for the same product. If you need to upload more, include the minor ‘extras’ in a composite image. Utilize this opportunity to display different angles, features, and uses of the product. Additional images can also be used to show packaging or product variations.
- Image Content Restrictions: Images should not contain offensive or inappropriate content. Avoid adding promotional text, pricing information, or seller contact details to the images.
- Zoom Capability: High-resolution images enable the “Zoom” feature, allowing customers to view product details up close.
- Image Quality: Images should be clear, well-lit, and in focus. Poorly shot or pixelated images can deter potential buyers.
- File Size: Images should be optimized for web use to ensure fast loading times. Amazon recommends keeping file sizes below 10MB.
Image defects that lead to the suppression of product images
Here are a few things to keep in mind while capturing product images for Amazon:
- Non-white background
- Capturing a blurry, pixelated, or jagged image
- Image with text, logo, graphics, or a watermark
- People are present in the image.
- If the product occupies less than 85% of the frame
- Prurient images
Optimizing photos for more sales
For Amazon listing optimization with images, you can follow these tips:
- Keep the color mode at sRGB or CMYK.
- The file format should be the product ID, a period, and then the appropriate file extension.
- Professional High-quality images for Amazon listings
- No inset graphics or overlay text
- The product should fill 85% of the frame.
- Accessories in the main image should be avoided.
- Always try to use multiple product shots.
- Organize photos on the product page.
- Edit as per Amazon’s requirements.
- Pay attention to lighting to see what works.
- Use A/B testing images to see two versions of content compared against each other to know which performs better.
Choosing between different types of photos
For driving sales, we need to consider both product and lifestyle photos. Every photo on Amazon needs to have a detailed image showcasing what the actual product looks like, its benefits, features, appearance, and so on, but Using lifestyle photography on Amazon showcases the product in daily lifestyle to help the customer imagine the product in everyday use.
For instance, instead of showing t-shirts laid flat or hung up on a coat hanger, it’s better to project it worn that gives the viewer a rough idea of what they can expect after wearing it.
By adhering to these Amazon product image requirements, sellers can provide customers with an engaging and informative shopping experience, which can lead to increased trust, higher click-through rates, and ultimately greater sales success on the platform.
Enhanced brand content and A+ images on Amazon
Amazon Enhanced Brand Content, also known as A+ Content on Seller Images, represents your brand on this giant online seller. According to Amazon, businesses can increase their sales by adding A+ content to their product listings. Adding informative content along with powerful product images is a surefire way to captivate the attention of the viewers.
A+ content is easily available for free to vendors and sellers registered under the Amazon Brand Registry. It’s best suited for products that need more description and a higher lien count.
In conclusion, product photography plays a pivotal role in maximizing sales on Amazon. With strict image requirements, capturing high-quality, visually appealing, and informative product images is essential to standing out in the competitive marketplace. From adhering to Amazon’s guidelines to incorporating A/B testing and lifestyle photos, sellers can create a compelling virtual storefront that captivates potential customers and drives sales. Embrace the power of professional product photography and elevate your Amazon business to new heights of success.